Emergency/Closure/Delay/ Transportation Communications
Plan Ahead for Possible Inclement Weather
The winter months occasionally bring weather conditions which require school schedule delays or closures.
Delay or Closure Decisions:
- Any decision to modify the school day is done to support the safety of our staff, students, and families.
- Various weather information sources are reviewed before a decision is made.
- To help staff and families plan, the district will make every effort to make a decision about a schedule change to a school day before 9:00 p.m. the day prior. In some situations, this may not be possible.
- The district may choose to operate on a normal schedule, start late, or close entirely.
A Late Start Allows Us:
- Time to monitor and adjust decisions to changing weather and road conditions;
- Time for the sun to rise and warm the roads so staff, students, and families can commute during daylight hours;
- Additional time for SWSD staff to arrive to work; and
- Time for the Transportation Department to further critique snow routes and make necessary adjustments or modifications.
- If we operate on a delayed schedule, there will be no out of district or Sno Isle Tech transportation. We will communicate if buses are operating on limited transportation routes or regular routes.
How We Will Communicate a Decision Regarding Emergencies, Delays, and/or Closures:
- ParentSquare notifies all staff and parents of a decision by phone, text, and/or email. In most instances, the message will override the digest setting, so messages arrive immediately.
- SWSD website:https://www.sw.wednet.edu/
- SWSD social media platforms - Facebook, Instagram
- Flash Alert, to local TV and radio stations
- If you are a community member who would like to receive SWSD emergency notification alerts, you may sign up here.
No announcement means normal operations.
Announcements are for one day only.
If you are unsure, check the website or your ParentSquare account.
Please make sure your contact information is up to date with your school secretary. Additionally, please you should have received an invitation to register with ParentSquare. If you have not, please contact email@example.com to resend the invitation. This will allow you to receive your emergency messages in the method you choose (text, phone, email, push notification and language).
Each family should have a plan covering what to do for school closures, delayed starts, limited transportation routes, and when children arrive home early due to an emergency situation. Situations which should be covered include:
- What is the best route home if your student cannot be delivered to the normal bus stop?
- Where could they go if they needed help?
- Who could care for him or her until you arrive?
- Is there someone your child could call to allay fears?
List of radio/TV stations are stations that carry school closures most frequently, but all are a part of the Emergency Communications System.
- AM Stations: KCIS 630, KAPS 660 KRKO 1380, KBRC 1430
- KVI 570, KIRO 710, KNWX 770, KOMO 1000, KJTT 1110
- FM Stations: KMPS 94.1, KYCW 96.5, KMTT 103.7
- KSER 90.7, KUOW 94.9, KIRO 100.7, KPLZ 101.5, KCMS 105.3
- TV Stations: KOMO TV 4, KING TV 5, KIRO TV 7
The following information is provided for your reference should it be necessary to close district schools or operate them on a modified basis.
Participating radio/TV stations have requested that we used the following phrases:
|All schools will be closed for one day only. All meetings, field trips, after school activities, etc. will be canceled for the day.
|Limited Bus Transportation
|Please refer to the "Limited Bus Transportation" schedule for restrictions.
|One or More Hours Late
|Bus schedules and school will begin late and students will be dismissed at the regular time unless otherwise announced. Listen to your radio for further announcements.
|No Out of District Transportation
|There will be no transportation to any programs outside our district for any students.
|There will be no kindergarten in the morning or afternoon.
|No Preschool Programs
|There will be no Head Start, ECEAP, special education, or child care programs in the morning or afternoon.
|No In-District Transportation
There will be no transportation due to road restrictions.
Due to changes in road and weather conditions beyond our control, we may need to update or change our radio announcement.
Please monitor the website at www.sw.wednet.edu, radio/TV stations frequently between the hours of 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 A.M.
The South Whidbey School District has a large geographical size, and weather conditions may vary significantly between neighborhoods. This may warrant a closure or late start for the entire district due to conditions impacting only limited areas. Parents/Guardians are advised to make their own decisions for theirs and their students' safety. Thank you for your understanding.