Clock Hour Opportunities
Please complete the linked Clock Hours Evaluation Form to assist us with providing the best opportunities to our staff, parents and community in the future. We appreciate any feedback.
2018 Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Classes: SWSD Staff Only (Community, Parent and Child Classes in the development)Thursdays after school 2:45 pm at SWHS or 4 pm at SWES north, beginning Jan.25th and ending March 1st.In this 6 week program you will:
- Investigate the nature of stress- how habitual reactions increase it, and how it affects your life.
- Learn and practice mindfulness practices which are done in class and during home practice. This includes body awareness work, yoga, and sitting and walking meditation (among others).
- Learn mindfulness approaches to manage physical, emotional, or psychological pain, stress, and difficulty in an effective way.
- Connect with the wisdom of one's own body and learn to relax tension.
- Develop tools to work with and transform stressful situations and reactions.
- Discover how to address depression and anxiety more skillfully.
- Overcome old habits of reaction and forge new pathways of responding mindfully.
- Re-establish balance and a sense of well-being and ease in your life.
- Have more control over your own health and fitness, and feel empowered to live with more joy and equanimity.
Open to Parents and the Community, Clockhours provided only to SWSD Staff Only.
The Book studies will be on January 18th, February 22nd, March 15th, April 19th and May 17th, from 6-8pm.The book discussion will be facilitated by Dr. Bess Windecker-Nelson. The book study is open to all who work with adolescents, either through parenting, teaching, mentoring, coaching, and leading. Although we will be working continuously through the chapters, each gathering will have an independent focus so that attendance in previous meetings is not required in order to participate in the conversations. January 18th Handout linked here and video links 1 and 2 linked here.
2018 Conversations About Race and Equity: Open to Parents and the Community, Clockhours provided only to SWSD Staff Only.
February 7, 2018, 2:00pm - 3:30pm, Freeland Library: Positive Conversations About Identity and Race (no fee)
February 8, 2018, 6:30pm - 8pm, Langley Library: Positive Conversations About Identity and Race (no fee)
February 12, 2018, 1:30pm - 3pm, Coupeville Library: Positive Conversations About Identity and Race (no fee)
March 6, 2018, 7 - 8:30pm, Healing Circles, 534 Camano Avenue, Langley: Race & Community: Difficult Conversations Lead to Wholeness (no fee)
March 25, 2018, Afternoon at The Clyde Theatre, Langley: Guest Speaker Robin DiAngelo (contributions requested)
April 22, 2018, Afternoon at The Whidbey Institute, Langley: Bystander Intervention Training: When Race is the Issue (fee to be determined)