SB 5044 - CCDEI
A new law (SB 5044), signed by Governor Jay Inslee requires school staff, educators and board members to receive training on cultural competency, diversity, equity or inclusion (CCDEI).
- Starting in the 2021-22 school year, districts will be required to devote one staff professional learning day to train staff in some form of cultural competency, diversity, equity or inclusion.
- Starting in the 2022 calendar year, each school board member must complete training on cultural competency, diversity, equity or inclusion.
- Beginning in the 2023-24 school year and every year thereafter, a professional learning day must be used to provide CCDEI training to school district staff.
- School staff includes classified staff, certificated staff, in certificated instructional staff, certificated administrative staff and superintendents
- Critical Race Theory is NOT part of the new law, nor is any other specific curriculum mentioned in the law.
- The term “critical race theory” does not appear anywhere in the law and it does not mandate any specific criteria for students.
- Critical race theory has existed for decades in higher education and is a theoretical framework that academics use to recognize racism in our nation’s past and examine how it influences and exists in our institutions today. Critical race theory is NOT required to be taught in Washington schools.